1971-1972 Men's Volleyball Team at Springfield College
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the 1971-1972 men's volleyball team at Springfield College. The team was led by Head Coach Tom Hays to a final record of 27 wins, 6 losses, and 2 ties, in his 3rd season as head coach. The team finished 1st at New Englands and 2nd at Easterns. Hay's went on to coach for 15 more seasons before ending his coaching career at Springfield College in 1987. He finished his career with 364 wins, 158 losses, and 25 ties overall, a winning percentage of .665. The game of volleyball was invented by Springfield College graduate William Morgan. In 1895, Morgan became a physical director at the YMCA in Holyoke, MA. While working as the physical director at the YMCA in Holyoke, Morgan developed the game of volleyball as a less strenuous alternative to basketball for middle-aged business men. Morgan's game was originially called "Mintonette" because it combined elements of both basketball and badminton. The game was first debuted at Springfield College during a conference for YMCA physical directors. At that time the name volleyball was suggested to Morgan by Alfred Halstead.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- 1971-1972 Men's Volleyball Team at Springfield College. 1971-1972. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6557. (Accessed July 22, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1971-1972) 1971-1972 Men's Volleyball Team at Springfield College. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6557
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6557>.