Ice jam above Lockington Dam
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The photograph shows the ice jam above the Lockington Dam. This is a view from upstream, illustrating that the dam holds back ice and protects Dayton further downstream. Lockington Dam is an earthen embankment located across the Loramie Creek in southern Shelby County near the Village of Lockington. The road across the top of the dam is a maintenance road closed to the public. Construction of the dam began in February of 1918 and was completed in October of 1921. It is currently operated by the Miami Conservancy District. The MCD was born as a direct result of the 1913 flood. The Flood of 1913 is known as the greatest natural disaster in Ohio history. Soon after the flood, residents raised enough money to hire a young engineer to develop a regional flood protection system that has protected the region since 1922. While maintaining the commitment to its core mission of flood protection, over the years MCD has been at the forefront of emerging water issues, growing as needed to meet the region’s water needs.
Ohio Federal Writers' Project
- Ohio Digital Network
- Contributing Institution
- Ohio History Connection
- Ohio Guide Collection
- Flood control
Dams--Ohio--Dayton Region--History--20th century--Pictorial works
- Standardized Rights Statement
- No Copyright - In the United States:The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Ice jam above Lockington Dam. 1930s. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/6721. (Accessed September 21, 2023.)
- APA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project, (1930s) Ice jam above Lockington Dam. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/6721
- MLA citation style
- Ohio Federal Writers' Project. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll34/id/6721>.