Flat Iron Building, Urbana, Illinois
View Full Image
Flat Iron Building Fire, March 21, 1948. The building was at the corner of Railroad (Springfield) and Main Streets in Urbana. The wedge-shape of this building referred to the once indispensible household implement. The Flat Iron Department Store opened September 4, 1906, occupying the basement and first two floors. The building's architect, Joseph with Royer, had offices on the third floor, as did several attorneys. The Elks club on the fourth floor had a nice view of the temperance statue/fountain outside. The building burned on March 21, 1948. Urban Treasure Hunt 16 History; 18 Social Systems
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
Fire engines Fire fighters
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.