Cliff Smith portrait
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a portrait of Springfield College alumnus Clifford A. Smith (class of 1949). Cliff Smith was born and raised on Long Island, New York. He graduated from Springfield College in 1949, earned a master’s degree from the University of Nebraska, and participated in advanced management programs at Southern Methodist University, before going on to devote his career to the YMCA. Smith was a member of the professional advisory councils for George Williams College in London and Springfield College and led them in record-setting local association campaigns to support YMCA professional leadership. He was recognized by both colleges for his efforts. He later served as president and chief executive officer of the Cleveland (Ohio) YMCA. Supporting the International Division of the YMCA of the USA, he led several national million-dollar efforts to increase funding for international programs. Under Smith’s leadership in Russia and Siberia, his dream that YMCAs would be successfully launched in the former Soviet Union came true. He was also an avid collector of postcards, having a number of extensive collections, including the Cliff Smith YMCA postcard collection at Springfield College and the "Cotton" collection at the South Carolina Cotton Museum. Cliff Smith passed away in March 2014.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
Smith, Clifford A
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Cliff Smith portrait. 1955-1964. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7903. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1955-1964) Cliff Smith portrait. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7903
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7903>.