Art Linkletter walking up hill at East Campus
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph shows Art Linkletter walking up a hill at East Campus with a group of people behind him. It was Arthur Gordon Linkletter, also known as Art Linkletter, who suggested that the college build a new swimming and diving facility. Art Linkletter was the famed entertainer best known for his TV series "House Party" that ran on CBS from 1952 to 1969. Art Linkletter believed so much in the project that he sold his house for $250,000 and donated the money to the project. Another $250,000 was raised by the student “Work Week” in 1967, where students worked jobs such as trimming hedges or moving telephone poles for donations. The Art Linkletter Natatorium is still in use today as the main swimming and diving facility on campus, having been incorporated into the new Wellness and Recreation Complex that opened in 2008.
- Coulacos, Spero
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College--Trustees
Linkletter, Art, 1912-2010
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Coulacos, Spero. Art Linkletter walking up hill at East Campus. 1970. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9216. (Accessed July 23, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Coulacos, Spero, (1970) Art Linkletter walking up hill at East Campus. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9216
- MLA citation style
- Coulacos, Spero. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/9216>.