Save Watershops Pond Because\..(1956)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This document titled "Save Watershops Pond because" by the Springfield Massachusetts planning board explains all the reasons why the Watershops Pond should be saved and restored. It was created in March of 1956. The proposal explains the importance of the usage of the pond to both Springfield College, the city, and visitors. It also discusses how the pond plays a key role in the appearance of the Springfield College campus. The document has some wonderful photographs of the lake in 1956, showing the lake drained after the dam had broken. In 1809, Lake Massasoit was formed by the army by damming the Mill River. The purpose of the dam was to ensure a constant flow of water downstream for the Springfield Armory “Watershops.” The Springfield Armory was America’s first and last National Armory, formed in 1777 and continuing production up until 1968. The formerly named Watershops Pond has 7 miles of shoreline and covers 186 acres. From 1892-1900, the buildings of Springfield College began to come about, and the name was changed to Lake Massasoit by Springfield College officials. The name came from a local hotel, the Massasoit House, owned by Marvin Chapin, a generous benefactor of the college. As the document describes, the August flood in 1956 decreased the pond 4 feet from the previous height and the pond had to be drained once again. After the damage to the pond following the flood, the city held many meetings about setting the water to the original height or removing the pond and placing an industrial site at the location instead. However, it was decided to keep the lake and use money to fix the dam. In 1920, the college purchased a large area of land on the upper end of the pond, and called it the “Freshman Camp.” Since the college was formed, students, faculty and visitors have used the Pond for sailing, swimming, ice skating and fishing. However, the lake was officially closed for swimming in 1984 when the lake was said to be unhealthy.
- City Planning Board (Springfield, Massachusetts)
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Lake Massasoit
Basketball Hall of Fame
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- City Planning Board (Springfield, Massachusetts). Save Watershops Pond Because\..(1956). 1956-03-06. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8208. (Accessed July 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- City Planning Board (Springfield, Massachusetts), (1956-03-06) Save Watershops Pond Because\..(1956). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8208
- MLA citation style
- City Planning Board (Springfield, Massachusetts). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8208>.