Written history of Towanda Township
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Written history of rural Towanda Township in the 1930s and 1940s written by Robert Kelly. Title is 'Memories of the 30's and 40's in rural Towanda Township by Robert Kelly (Kelley)" . Mr. Kelly recalls that the farmers who lived on the two mile road west of Merna all had nicknames.
Memories of the 30's and 40's in rural Towanda Township by Robert Kelly (Kelley) We lived on the two mile road west of Merna, and as typical of those times, we had a massive crew for shelling com, thrashing oats, putting up hay and, of course, a crew for butchering. Each farmer needed to butcher 4 to 6200 pound hogs and a steer for food for the following year. Every farm had a smoke house where the meat was hung and cured. The women served up bou...
- Contributing Institution
- Towanda Area Historical Society/Towanda District Library
- The images in the Towanda Area Historical Society digital library may be viewed, downloaded, and printed for personal or educational use, but any commercial use is prohibited, without permission. Questions may be directed to the historical society at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Towanda Illinois District Library at (309)728-2176.
- Chicago citation style
- Written history of Towanda Township. 1935?. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1494. (Accessed December 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1935?) Written history of Towanda Township. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1494
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1494>.