University of Illinois Observatory, Champaign, Illinois
View Full Image
904 S. Mathews Avenue, Champaign. Since 1989, the observatory has been designated a National Historic Landmark because of pioneering work in photoelectric photometry carried on there by Joel Stebbins, director from 1903-1922, and University of Illinois physicist Jacob Kunz. Their experiments were instrumental in the development of precise measurements of the brightness of stars. The building, erected in 1896, replaced a smaller observatory near University Hall, at the north end of the quadrangle. Office wings were added in the 1950s and 1960s. Urban Treasure Hunt 16 History
|Miller, Patricia L, Illinois Heritage Association|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.