Lick Observatory Dormitory and Dome
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- circa 1920
Obscured by another building, the dormitory is visible on the left. Stairs are attached to the side of the dormitory. To the right, one of the domes of the main building is visible.
The Lick Observatory building was designed by architect S.E. Todd of Washington, DC, in the Italian Renaissance style with the use of deep entablatures and moldings, and a pediment over the west door. The construction of the Lick Observatory building began in January 1880 under the direction of Thomas Fraser, James Lick's agent. To level the top of Mount Hamilton, Fraser had the top thirty feet of the mountain removed with black powder explosives. Workers then moved, by hand, an estimated 40 thousand tons of rock they had loosened. Masons built a kiln next to a clay bed near the summit and fired the bricks for the building. All of the heavy materials for the dome and telescope mounting were hauled up the mountain by wagon team and lifted into place with simple mechanical aids. http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/butowsky5/astro4b.htm
- Gordon, John C. (photographer)
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- San José State University, Special Collections and Archives
- Copyright is assigned to the San José State University Library Special Collections & Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Special Collections & Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational purposes.
- Chicago citation style
- Gordon, John C. (photographer). Lick Observatory Dormitory and Dome. circa 1920. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.sjlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/gordon/id/1561. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Gordon, John C. (photographer), (circa 1920) Lick Observatory Dormitory and Dome. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digitalcollections.sjlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/gordon/id/1561
- MLA citation style
- Gordon, John C. (photographer). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://digitalcollections.sjlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/gordon/id/1561>.