- Indiana Memory
- Madison-Jefferson County Public Library
The cog locomotive "John Brough" was designed in 1849 and delivered in 1850 by the Baldwin Works to climb the "hill" in Madison. It was owned by the Madison and Indianapolis Railroad and named after John Brough, president of the company. It was actually a rebuild of the old "Marion" which had been built in 1847 and proved less than efficient on the steep grade. Photograph of early daguerreotype.
- image: photograph
- Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Jefferson County Historical Society. Please contact at 615 W. First St., Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2335.