West Gymnasium Interior Construction, 1910
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the interior construction of Judd Gymnasia's west gymnasium. The photograph shows the bare rafters, windows and the running track. Wood and other debris is on the floor. Judd Gymnasia was the first building erected on the new land purchased for the YMCA Training School, now Springfield College, along Massasoit Lake in Springfield, Massachusetts. Morrissey and Shea’s Corporation completed construction on the building in September of 1894 and it was formally opened on October 26, 1894. The original gymnasium, known today as East Gymnasium, was where James Naismith taught classes and coached the school’s basketball team however it is not the gymnasium where basketball was invented. In 1910, trustees authorized the addition of a second gymnasium and swimming pool. The new gymnasium, completed in February of 1912, was designed by architect Edward Lippincott Tilton and known as West Gymnasium. Through the years it has undergone several name changes. The gymnasium was known as west gymnasium until 1953, when the trustees voted that it be named “The Judd Gymnasium”. In 1998 the Gymnasium was renamed the Ruth Evans Gymnasium and in 2010, the Gymnasium received its current name as the Student Union West. The entire building was renovated in 2010, with occupancy beginning in September of 2010. A formal Ribbon Cutting Ceremony to open Judd Gymnasia was held on October 13, 2010. Another ceremony was held on May 19, 2011 as a Dedication of the Stitzer YMCA Center that makes up a part of the facilities in the building, including the use of the East Gymnasium as a conference center for the YMCA and the Office of YMCA Relations and the YMCA Hall of Fame in the Springfield College History Museum.
A handwritten note on the back of this image reads "Training School, Springfield 10-11-10"; Series were added to this collection, changing the file name. File names of the uploaded files contain the old name
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
Ruth Evans Gymnasium
Student Union West
Stitzer YMCA Center
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- West Gymnasium Interior Construction, 1910. 1910-10-11. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/992. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1910-10-11) West Gymnasium Interior Construction, 1910. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/992
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/992>.