• Created Date
  • 1901-1908
  • Publisher
  • Springfield College
  • Description
  • This hand-colored lantern slide shows people of all ages skating on Massasoit Lake. In the background is the International YMCA Training School, now called Springfield College. The buildings are the Administration Building (left) and Woods Hall (center). The Administration Building was the college’s first dormitory and dining facility; it also housed classrooms and offices. Construction began in April 1895 and finished in January 1896. During ... more
    This hand-colored lantern slide shows people of all ages skating on Massasoit Lake. In the background is the International YMCA Training School, now called Springfield College. The buildings are the Administration Building (left) and Woods Hall (center). The Administration Building was the college’s first dormitory and dining facility; it also housed classrooms and offices. Construction began in April 1895 and finished in January 1896. During World War II, the building was deemed a fire hazard and its top floors were removed. Woods Hall was erected on May 23, 1904 and dedicated on September 28, 1904. Eleanor S. Woods, a member of the Merriam family (Webster’s dictionary), recognized the need for greater social opportunities and so donated $18,000 for the project. The central feature of Woods Hall was a dining room capable of accommodating more than one hundred and twenty-five guests. During the summer of 1951, Springfield College revamped Woods Hall to accommodate their first co-ed class. The faculty dining room, lobby, conference room, and main dining hall were refit with bright tile flooring, modern recessed lighting, and an acoustic ceiling. A complete renovation in 1961 left Woods Hall unrecognizable, and in 2008, the building was demolished. Lake Massasoit, also known as Watershops Pond, was formed when the Armory dammed Mill River to generate energy. At different points in Springfield College's history, the students used the lake for rowing, canoeing, kayaking, skating, and swimming. Springfield College used this image as the front of their Christmas card in December 2001. Text on border reads, "Massasoit Lake in Winter. less
  • Format
  • Photographs
  • Rights
  • Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.