Voting Record of the Constitutional Convention
- View Full Item
- Created Date
For four months the delegates debated fundamental questions relating to government, power, and human nature. Each and every clause of the Constitution was painstakingly argued and resolved. The voting record reflects the countless diplomacies, concessions, and comprises that produced the Constitution. This page records the final vote taken September 15, 1787. Delegates to the Convention signed the proposed Constitution on September 17, 1787. William Jackson, who served as Secretary of the Convention, recorded the votes. Throughout the entire voting record, the column for Rhode Island is blank or blacked out, since that state chose not to participate in the Convention. The column for New York is blank only for the later stages of the Convention, as two of the three delegates from that state departed early. The voting record of the convention is in two bound volumes.
- Constitutional Convention. 5/14/1787-9/17/1787
- Contributing Institution
- National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference
- Records of the Continental and Confederation Congresses and the Constitutional Convention
Official Records of the Constitutional Convention of 1787
- Voters' listsPaperLoose Sheets
- Standardized Rights Statement
- No Copyright - In the United States:The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Constitutional Convention. 5/14/1787-9/17/1787. Voting Record of the Constitutional Convention. 1787. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.archives.gov/id/301680. (Accessed October 5, 2022.)
- APA citation style
- Constitutional Convention. 5/14/1787-9/17/1787, (1787) Voting Record of the Constitutional Convention. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.archives.gov/id/301680
- MLA citation style
- Constitutional Convention. 5/14/1787-9/17/1787. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.archives.gov/id/301680>.