Loveland Chapel at Springfield College
View Full Item
This photograph shows Loveland Chapel at Springfield College through the gates. The posts that hold the gates were originally the Pratt Field Gates on the main campus at Springfield College. In 1946, Norman and Ruth Loveland established a fund for the construction of a chapel at Springfield College in order to help maintain the spiritual character of the College. Mr. Loveland was a 1924 graduate of the College and had served as a member of the Board of Trustees. From 1946 till their deaths, Mr. Loveland in 1965 and Mrs. Loveland in1968, a sum of $275,000 beqeust was made to the “chapel” fund. Under the leadership of President Wilbert E. Locklin, it was decided that the chapel should be built on the East Campus. Groundbreaking took place on September 15, 1980 and the chapel was completed in June of 1981. The Dedication was actually held on May 30, 1981. A number of features in the chapel were donated, including the Allen Organ, donated by W. Haines Kent and a couple of stained glass windows, including one in memory of Norman and Ruth Loveland, by Mrs. Vera Brown, and one depicting the Springfield College triangle, by Philip W. Breux, Class of 1938. The gates at the entrances are actually the original Pratt Field Gates. The building was visualized as “an academic chapel” or non-denominational chapel. Built of wood and stone, the 5,000 sq. ft. structure blends into the woodland setting and utilizes natural materials that incorporate environmental awareness in terms of energy efficiency. Its open floor nave could accommodate 150 people. In 1988, under the leadership of President Frank Falcone, Loveland Chapel became the Child Development Center which remains its use to this day.
|Springfield College Archives and Special Collections|
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
Child Development Center
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Loveland Chapel at Springfield College. 1981-1990. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3167. (Accessed June 23, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1981-1990) Loveland Chapel at Springfield College. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3167
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3167>.