Duty of the churches as to the use of wine at the Lord's Supper
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A copy of an essay by Edward Hitchcock in which Hitchcock argues for an end to the use of wine as part of the Eucharist. This copy is credited "by an Antivenenean" (possibly a reference to the Antivenenean Society of Amherst College), and the text differs slightly from the other copy. Hitchcock presents three main arguments, stating first that nothing in the scriptures justifies the use of wine in the present-day communion service, second that neither bread nor wine is an essential part of the communion service, and third that the temperance cause cannot triumph without ending the use of wine at the Lord's Supper. He expands upon each of these arguments and explains his reasoning. This copy is in blue-gray paper wraps and Hitchcock has written "Wine Tracts" across the back cover and "(4)" on the front cover.
The item is undated. The date provided is taken from the item's folder.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- EssaysTracts (documents)Manuscripts
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Duty of the churches as to the use of wine at the Lord's Supper. 1835. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:83780. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1835) Duty of the churches as to the use of wine at the Lord's Supper. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:83780
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:83780>.