1977 homeshow script card
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A handwritten script from the 1977 gymnastics exhibition team's homeshow. The script talks about ideas that were still treasured in 1977 including: national pride in our system and life, self reliance, optimism, and service to others. It also discussed the alumni of Springfield College and their contributions to helping others. The history of Gymnastics at Springfield College goes all the way back till nearly the founding of Springfield College in 1885, when Dr. James Naismith, the creator of Basketball, was an early SC Gymnast. Beginning in 1904, the SC Gymnastics team would travel to cities to perform their Gymnastics routines. At the end of their travels, they would perform a “Home Show” at Springfield College, a show they continue to perform to this day. It was during the reign of head coach Leslie Judd, widely considered a father of modern Gymnastics, that the Gymnastics exhibition team really gained a claim to fame. Under the leadership of Professor Leslie J. Judd, the purpose of the Springfield College Exhibition team was to promote and maintain an interest in gymnastics, dance, and the artistic phases of physical education in schools, colleges, YMCAs, and recreational centers. The Exhibition Team has appeared before thousands of spectators in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. In fact, in 1941 the team appeared before thirty-five-thousand spectators in twenty-five cities.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
Springfield College--Gymnastics--Exhibition team
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- 1977 homeshow script card. 1977. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6539. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1977) 1977 homeshow script card. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6539
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/6539>.