DPLAfest 2016 — April 14-15, 2016
[DPLAfest 2016] Logistics
DPLAfest 2016 will take place in the following locations:
Library of Congress
Evening reception to be held at the National Archives Building (Rotunda Galleries, Constitution Ave b/t 7th and 9th Streets NW, Special Events Entrance)
* Note for those planning to attend the April 13 Hackathon pre-fest session: please enter via the Madison Building entrance located at 101 Independence Ave SE, Washington, DC 20540
National Archives Building
Smithsonian Institution (S. Dillon Ripley Center)
* For sessions taking place in the McGowan Theater, Jefferson Room, Washington Room, Adams Room, and the Madison Room, enter on Constitution Ave between 7th and 9th Streets NW through the Special Events Entrance (entrance closer to 7th St. NW). For sessions taking place in the Innovation Hub and G-25, enter on Pennsylvania Ave between 7th and 9th Streets NW through the Researcher Entrance.
The annual Cherry Blossom Festival will be taking place at the same time as DPLAfest 2016, which may affect parking and transportation options. For more information, visit the Cherry Blossom Festival’s visitor information page.
There are a number of hotels in the Washington, DC area that are either within walking distance of the various event locations or easily reachable via the Metro. DPLA has reserved a small block of rooms at the Radisson Hotel Reagan National Airport and the Donovan (details below).
Please note that the Radisson is located in Crystal City and requires use of the Metro to reach the conference venues. From the Radisson, attendees can reach the DPLAfest venues via the Yellow line (three stops) and the Blue line (nine stops). From the Yellow Line, attendees can get off at L’Enfant Plaza and walk across the Mall to the National Archives or the Smithsonian. At L’Enfant, attendees can also change trains to the Blue Line to go to Capital South, which is the metro nearer to the Library of Congress, or walk from L’Enfant Plaza. For those traveling to Reagan National Airport, the Radisson operates a free shuttle to the airport from the hotel.
Hotels with DPLA group rate
Radisson Reagan National Airport ($186)
2020 Jefferson Davis Hwy
Arlington, VA 22202
To book a room at the Radisson using the DPLA group rate, call 1-800-333-3333 and mention DPLAfest. See note above for information about metro transit to/from the Raddisson, which is located a few metro stops away from downtown DC.
* The last day to book a room at the Raddisson using this group rate is Monday, March 14, 2016. *
The Donovan ($279)
Washington, DC 20005
To book a room at the Donovan using the DPLA group rate, call 1-800-KIMPTON and mention DPLAfest, or click here to book online.
* The last day to book a room at the Donovan using this group rate is Monday, March 21, 2016. *
For additional accommodations in the Washington, DC area, visit http://washington.org/find-dc-listings/hotels.
Washington DC Metro
The Washington DC Metro operates Monday through Thursday from 5 a.m. to midnight; Friday from 5 a.m. to 3 a.m.; Saturday from 7 a.m. to 3 a.m.; and Sunday from 7 a.m. to midnight.
Base fares start at $1.70 per trip (including trips between all downtown points), but the rates are higher for visitors traveling from the suburbs and during peak hours (5-9:30 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. on weekdays, midnight-closing on weekends). The maximum one-way fare is $5.75. You can purchase a one-day ticket for $14, which allows you to ride as many times as you’d like. Tickets can be purchased by cash or credit cards from vending machines located at the stations. Station managers are on hand to assist you in purchasing your tickets. You can also purchase them here on Metro’s website. To calculate the distance and fares between two stops, visit the Metro’s Trip Planner.
To find out more about getting around Washington, visit http://washington.org/topics/getting-around.
Getting to/from Ronald Reagan National Airport using public transportation
Both the Yellow and Blue lines run to Ronald Reagan National Airport.
The Washington, DC Metrorail system has an elevated Metrorail station connected to the concourse level of Terminals B and C at Reagan National Airport. The Metrorail system provides easy and affordable access to locations throughout Washington, Virginia and Maryland.
For additional transportation options for getting to/from Ronald Reagan National Airport, visit http://www.flyreagan.com/dca/parking-transportation.
Getting to/from Dulles International Airport using public transportation
With direct service to Metro’s Silver Line, the Silver Line Express Bus provides a convenient, economical connection between the Dulles Main Terminal and the Silver Line’s Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail station, just minutes away.
- $5 each way regular fare (cash or credit card accepted)
- $3 each way for airport employees with valid ID
- No fare for children under 2 years of age
- Boarding in the Airport: Purchase tickets at the counter located inside Arrivals Door# 4 in the Main Terminal. From baggage claim, go UP the ramp at the sign for Door #4.
- Boarding at the Wiehle-Reston East Metro station: Board the bus, then purchase tickets after the bus arrives at the airport.
- Metrorail farecards: Purchase inside any Metro station.
For additional transportation options for getting to/from Dulles International Airport, visit http://www.flydulles.com/iad/parking-transportation.