DPLAfest 2015 — April 17-18, 2015
[DPLAfest 2015] Apply to Host DPLAfest 2015
|Heads up! The deadline to submit an expression of interest to host DPLAfest 2015 was August 1, 2014. Inquiries? Email us.|
DPLAfest brings together hundreds of people to celebrate the Digital Public Library of America, our many partners across the country, and our large and growing community of practitioners and members of the public who contribute to, and benefit from, DPLA. The first DPLAfest, held in October 2013, was co-hosted by the Boston Public Library, Northeastern University’s College of Social Sciences and Humanities, and Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science. Starting in 2015, DPLAfest becomes an annual series of community-oriented public workshops, presentations, discussions, and fun events.
DPLAfest host organizations are essential participants in one of the most prominent gatherings of librarians, archivists, and museum professionals, developers and technologists, publishers and authors, teachers and students, and many others in the country. For colleges and universities, DPLAfest is the perfect opportunity to directly engage your students, educators, and librarians in the work of a diverse national community of library and technology leaders. For public libraries, hosting DPLAfest brings the excitement and enthusiasm of our community right to your hometown, enriching your patrons’ understanding of library services through free and open workshops, conversations, and more. It’s also a chance to promote your institution nationally and internationally, given the widespread media coverage of DPLAfest and the energy around the event.
If this sounds attractive to you and your organization, let us know! We are calling on universities and colleges, public libraries, museums, and others to submit expressions of interest to serve as hosts or co-hosts for DPLAfest 2015, which will take place on April 17-18, 2015.
How to Apply
To apply, review the information below and submit an expression of interest on behalf of your organization via the form at the bottom of this page (closed). The deadline to apply is Friday, August 1, 2014 at 9:00 PM EDT. We will follow up with the most promising proposals shortly following the deadline. Collaborative applications (such as between a university and a nearby public library) are encouraged as well.
Information for Prospective Hosts
Requirements of a DPLAfest 2015 Hosting Site
- Willingness to make local arrangements and coordinate with DPLA staff and any/all staff at host institution.
- An auditorium or similar space suitable for a keynote presentation (minimum 250 people).
- Ten or more smaller rooms for “breakout” sessions (30 – 50 people). Preference will be given to hosts that can provide breakout rooms equipped with projection/display capabilities.
- Availability of wireless network for all attendees, potentially in excess of 300 simultaneous clients, for free or via conference sponsorship.
- An organizational commitment to donate use of all venue spaces. (As a small non-profit with limited funds, as well as a strong desire to keep DPLAfest maximally open to the public, we’re unable to pursue host proposals that are unable to offer free or deeply-discounted use of venue spaces.)
Additional Desirable Qualities
- Proximity to a major airport and hotels.
- Willingness to offer day-of staffing support.
- Location outside of the Boston, MA area (we’re rotating the location of DPLAfest each year; we celebrated DPLAfest 2013 in Boston).
This form has closed. The deadline to submit an expression of interest to host DPLAfest 2015 was August 1, 2014. Questions? Email us.