This October, all GIF-makers, history nuts, cultural heritage enthusiasts and lovers of the internet are invited to take part in the fourth annual GIF IT UP competition.
The competition encourages people to create new, fun and unique artworks from digitized cultural heritage material. Throughout the month, make and submit original gifs, using copyright-free digital video, images or text from Digital Public Library of America (DPLA), Europeana Collections, Trove, or DigitalNZ. Find all the rules, tools, and information you will need for GIF IT UP 2017 below and happy GIF-ing!
What is a GIF?
A GIF is an image, video or text that has been digitally manipulated to become animated.
How to Play:
To enter GIF IT UP, you need to make a gif with material(s) which you have found on DPLA, Europeana, DigitalNZ, or Trove. Your source material must come from at least one of these four sources and be marked as public domain or have a rights statement that clearly allows for reuse. Find detailed submission guidelines on the GIF IT UP contest page.
Why participate in GIF IT UP?
GIF IT UP helps promote public domain and openly licensed collections to a wider audience, and increase the reuse of cultural heritage materials from around the world.
We know what you’re thinking…
Yes, there are prizes! A panel of judges representing GIPHY, DailyArt and Public Domain Review, will be awarding the following prizes, sponsored by GIPHY and Europeana:
- Grand Prize x1 – One grand prize winner will receive an Electric Object – a digital photo frame especially for GIFs, sponsored by GIPHY, the world’s largest library of animated GIFs.
- Runners Up x3 – Three runners-up will get online gift cards.
- First-time GIF-maker x1 – The winner of the first-time GIF-maker category will receive a gift card.
- People’s Choice x1 – All are welcome to vote for their favorite GIF IT UP entry on the contest website. The People’s Choice winner will receive a Giphoscope.
- Thematic categories x4 – Special prizes will be awarded in thematic categories: transportation, animals, vacations, and holidays. We picked out some materials for inspiration, or visit the GIF IT UP website for more suggested materials in each category.
Can’t wait to see what awesome gifs people make?
Neither can we! All eligible entries will be showcased on the GIPHY channel dedicated to the competition, and promoted on social media with the hashtag #GIFITUP2017. Results of the 2017 competition will be announced in November on the GIF IT UP website and related social media.