• Visitors at Como Springs Resort, 1924. This resort was formed from a geological thermal water lake and organized by Samuel Francis, Richard Fry and Dr. Wadsworth with a combined capital of $1500.00. In 1889 the grand opening of the resort brought in the locals and the resort's reputation for relaxation and healing began to spread. Courtesy of the Morgan County (UT) Historical Society and the Morgan County (UT) Public Library via Mountain West Digital Library.

    More info
    Select an item:
    1924 Como Springs Resort_2
    • Date
    • 1924
    • Description
    • Swimmers gather together for a group portrait in the pool. 6 7/8 x 3 15/16 in. photograph. The Como Springs Resort was formed from a geological thermal water lake and organized by Samuel Francis, Richard Fry and Dr. Wadsworth with a combined capital ... more
      Swimmers gather together for a group portrait in the pool. 6 7/8 x 3 15/16 in. photograph. The Como Springs Resort was formed from a geological thermal water lake and organized by Samuel Francis, Richard Fry and Dr. Wadsworth with a combined capital of $1500.00. In 1889 the grand opening of the resort brought in the locals and the resort's reputation for relaxation and healing began to spread. Because of economic depression, in 1896 the resort had to close its doors. In 1921, the Heiner family reopened the resort and it thrived until 1986 when, because of insurance costs, the resort closed its doors permanently. This collection contains 117 historic photographs ranging from 1889 to 2010. less
    • Rights
    • Copyright 1889-2010 Morgan County Historical Society. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
    • Partner
    • Mountain West Digital Library
    • Contributing Institution
    • Morgan County (UT) Historical Society and Morgan County (UT) Public Library

  • Como Springs Resort, 1930. Newly planted trees appear in foreground. First swimming pool, dressing rooms, and slippery slide can be seen in the background. Courtesy of the Morgan County (UT) Historical Society and the Morgan County (UT) Public Library via Mountain West Digital Library.

    More info
    Select an item:
    1930 Como Springs Resort
    • Date
    • 1930
    • Description
    • Newly planted trees appear in foreground. First swimming pool, dressing rooms and slippery slide can be seen in the background. 7 x 5 in. photograph. The Como Springs Resort was formed from a geological thermal water lake and organized by Samuel Fran... more
      Newly planted trees appear in foreground. First swimming pool, dressing rooms and slippery slide can be seen in the background. 7 x 5 in. photograph. The Como Springs Resort was formed from a geological thermal water lake and organized by Samuel Francis, Richard Fry and Dr. Wadsworth with a combined capital of $1500.00. In 1889 the grand opening of the resort brought in the locals and the resort's reputation for relaxation and healing began to spread. Because of economic depression, in 1896 the resort had to close its doors. In 1921, the Heiner family reopened the resort and it thrived until 1986 when, because of insurance costs, the resort closed its doors permanently. This collection contains 117 historic photographs ranging from 1889 to 2010. less
    • Rights
    • Copyright 1889-2010 Morgan County Historical Society. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
    • Partner
    • Mountain West Digital Library
    • Contributing Institution
    • Morgan County (UT) Historical Society and Morgan County (UT) Public Library

  • 2000 photograph of Como Springs Motel, built in 1953. Courtesy of the Morgan County (UT) Historical Society and the Morgan County (UT) Public Library via Mountain West Digital Library.

    More info
    Select an item:
    2000 Como Springs Resort_29
    • Date
    • 2000-08-18
    • Creator
    • Smith, Linda H., 1947-
    • Description
    • Como Springs Motel, built in 1953. 6 x 4 in. photograph. The Como Springs Resort was formed from a geological thermal water lake and organized by Samuel Francis, Richard Fry and Dr. Wadsworth with a combined capital of $1500.00. In 1889 the grand ope... more
      Como Springs Motel, built in 1953. 6 x 4 in. photograph. The Como Springs Resort was formed from a geological thermal water lake and organized by Samuel Francis, Richard Fry and Dr. Wadsworth with a combined capital of $1500.00. In 1889 the grand opening of the resort brought in the locals and the resort's reputation for relaxation and healing began to spread. Because of economic depression, in 1896 the resort had to close its doors. In 1921, the Heiner family reopened the resort and it thrived until 1986 when, because of insurance costs, the resort closed its doors permanently. This collection contains 117 historic photographs ranging from 1889 to 2010. less
    • Rights
    • Copyright 1889-2010 Morgan County Historical Society. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
    • Partner
    • Mountain West Digital Library
    • Contributing Institution
    • Morgan County (UT) Historical Society and Morgan County (UT) Public Library

  • Scenic image from the Como Springs Resort area, 2010. Courtesy of the Morgan County (UT) Historical Society and the Morgan County (UT) Public Library via Mountain West Digital Library.

    More info
    Select an item:
    2010 Como Springs Resort
    • Date
    • 2010
    • Creator
    • Smith, Linda H., 1947-
    • Description
    • Lake Como. 7 1/8 x 5 1/16 in. photograph. The Como Springs Resort was formed from a geological thermal water lake and organized by Samuel Francis, Richard Fry and Dr. Wadsworth with a combined capital of $1500.00. In 1889 the grand opening of the res... more
      Lake Como. 7 1/8 x 5 1/16 in. photograph. The Como Springs Resort was formed from a geological thermal water lake and organized by Samuel Francis, Richard Fry and Dr. Wadsworth with a combined capital of $1500.00. In 1889 the grand opening of the resort brought in the locals and the resort's reputation for relaxation and healing began to spread. Because of economic depression, in 1896 the resort had to close its doors. In 1921, the Heiner family reopened the resort and it thrived until 1986 when, because of insurance costs, the resort closed its doors permanently. This collection contains 117 historic photographs ranging from 1889 to 2010. less
    • Rights
    • Copyright 1889-2010 Morgan County Historical Society. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
    • Partner
    • Mountain West Digital Library
    • Contributing Institution
    • Morgan County (UT) Historical Society and Morgan County (UT) Public Library

The hot springs of the Mountain West provide resort destinations where guests can enjoy the benefits of geothermal waters. For decades, hordes of tourists enjoyed hot spring resorts such as Como Hot Springs in Morgan City, Utah. The hot springs, believed to have healing powers, were a great source of relaxation and enjoyment for travelers. Immigrant pioneers Samuel and Esther Francis arrived in Morgan Valley in 1862 to take up farming in what is now Morgan City. The couple was charmed by the natural hot springs and the small, unusually warm lake. They named the lake Como after Esther’s birthplace in Italy.

In 1883, Francis and his neighbor Richard Frye acquired eighty acres of land from the Union Pacific Railroad, including the geothermal springs. The Como Springs Resort opened on the site in 1889, and the resort's reputation for relaxation and healing spread quickly. The eighty-two-degree, mineral-rich geothermal waters of the pool made the resort very popular. Because of economic depression, in 1896, the resort closed its doors. In 1921, the Heiner family reopened the resort and operated it until 1986 when the resort closed permanently due to rising insurance costs.