Governance/Open Meeting Resources
Coming out of the October 20, 2011 meeting of the Governance Workstream, participants agreed to set a DPLA standard for conducting open meetings. They requested research into open meeting laws, related formats, and norms for participation, in order to inform that process. Below is a list of suggested resources, including relevant state laws and models from select organizations.
- Massachusetts Law
- Open Government Guide, Committee of Reporters for Freedom of the Press (RCFP): Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Open Meeting Law Guide (2011), MA state gov.
- G.L. c. 30A, §§ 18-25, Massachusetts (2010)
- The Attorney General’s site on the Open Meeting Law
- California Law
- Open Government Guide, RCFP: California
- Bagley-Keene Act (applies to state boards and committees), CA state gov.
- Brown Act (applies to legislative body of a local agency), CA Attorney General’s site
- A Handy Guide to the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act A Handy Guide to the Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act (2004), CA Attorney General’s site
- Federal Law
- § 552B. Open Meetings, aka “The Sunshine Act”, posted on the Cornell Law School site